Friday, July 29, 2005

His Holiness - The Dalai Lama

I'm not Buddhist, don't know much about Tibet nor their fight for freedom from China. However, when the man, the myth, the legend comes to speak in your backyard (literally), you have to at least check it out.

Since I did not expect a huge crowd, my main pursuit was the hope that there may have been a Q & A session where I could ask him whether or not he has ever seen Caddyshack. (Looking for Lama info, I found a website of this guy in Colorado that did ask him, he has not seen it).






Unfortunately for my Lama information quest, there were about 19,800 more people there than I thought there would be. I resisted the urge to buy the commemorative Dalai Lama "Lance Armstrong-esque" bracelet and saved my cash for a huge bavarian pretzel.


There were a lot of dancing Sherpas before his holiness made his appearance.

Now wothout further ado, Ladies and Gentlemen - I give you.......Carl Spackler

"So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald ... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one -- big hitter, the Lama -- long, into a 10,000-foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the 18th and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice."

Since I did not have the passion (or the desire) to get up when gates opened at 6 A.M. I walked in at 10 and got a seat where I had to peer over some speakers and around a giant "Lama Vision" television. It is pretty easy to pick out the Lama since he seems to be a fan of the Minnesota Golden Gophers with his Maroon and Gold robes...........striking.

2 comments:

Carl Spackler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carl Spackler said...

i'm the real carl spackler...check out my blog if you don't believe me.