Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Strasbourg

What a cool city!

It's considered a tourist trap in Europe but since that's what we are (tourists), we loved it!

We only got a few pictures since I had a mix-up with the camera though. I'll take more next time.

Everything in the city pretty much revolves around the cathedral. Many French think it is the best in all of France and more beautiful than Notre Dame in Patis. We tend to agree. It is absolutely massive. The pictures do not do it justice. Inside, the biggest feature is a huge astronomical clock. At 12:30 every day, it comes alive and these wooden statues all over it tell the story of the crucifixion.

Since my ancestors are from this area (Alsace (Baden-Baden is just across the German border about 20km away), it was cool to read about the history of the people as well as the region.

We took a boat tour (I think we chose the oldest boat in the city), and saw the Parliament building. Strasbourg is the seat of the European Community.

The Beer Academy was also great. It was MUCH smaller than I anticipated but had the best beer menu I have ever seen. More Belgian beer than I knew existed.

For any visitors that want to get a piece of France that is not Paris, Strasbourg is the place.

Off to the UK this morning. I will not be in any very scenic places and won't have a car but I'll try and get pictures of bad teeth or something....

Take Care!

D

No comments: